Thursday, March 12, 2009

Fantasy Baseball Preview

I'm in the fantasy frame of mind - fantasy baseball, not some weird sexual thing you sicko. Actually the fact is there isn't a whole lot going on right now and I need something to write about. So I'm going to run through the top fantasy player by position. Hoo ha!

Catcher: Brian McCann

Good batting average. Good power. Good OPS. GREAT beard. And as much as I like Turtle from Entourage look-a-like Russell Martin, McCann is slightly better over all. Although no catcher is worth being taken until at least the fourth round. And, if you are wondering, I didn't forget Joe Mauer. His health is in question and he doesn't have the power of McCann or the speed of Martin; although he is definitely the dreamiest.

First Base: Albert Pujols


He's the best hitter in baseball. ‘Nuff said.

Second Base: Dustin Pedroia

Allow me to defend myself here. I LOVE Chase Utely. Like in a borderline inappropriate way. However, as it stands, Pedroia is the safest pick at second base. Utley is coming off offseason hip surgery, which is enough to make anyone nervous. In fact, I might take Ian Kinsler before Utley this year, depending on where they go in the draft; and, for that matter, I would at least be willing to listen to the argument of Kinsler over Pedroia. I would just like one more big year from Kinsler so I am 100% sure last year wasn’t a fluke. Pedroia is the safest bet this year.

Third Base: David Wright


Speed. Power. OBP. Wright basically can do it all. Plus he isn't a tool like Miguel Cabrera (who will likely be listed as 1B/3B in most leagues even though he is barely fast enough to play first, which doesn’t bode well for third).

Shortstop: Hanley Ramirez

He should be your number one pick overall. He's like Jose Reyes if Reyes were actually good. Ok, that isn't fair. But Jose Reyes is very, very overrated. Remember a few years ago when Carl Crawford would constantly go too high in fantasy drafts because everyone thought eventually he would hit .330 with 20 hrs to go along with 50 steals? Yeah. That didn't happen. Ladies and gentleman meet the new Carl Crawford....JOSE REYES!

Outfield: 1. Ryan Braun 2. Josh Hamilton 3. Grady Sizemore

I don't like Sizemore. He's overrated as an ACTUAL player, but very good as a FANTASY player. It just bothers me that so many people consider him one of the best players in baseball and he can barely break a .270 avg. I realize batting average isn't everything, but it is still bothersome.

As for Braun and Hamilton, they may be the most talented hitters in baseball. Not the best, but the most talented. Plus if you aren't rooting for Hamilton (even though he is absolutely insane) you are a jerk. Also read his book. The writing is laughably simple, but it is an interesting read nonetheless. And you will understand what I mean when I call him insane.

Starting Pitcher: Tim Lincecum

Or, as he is called here, Tim "Line-of-Cum." Yes. Gross. But if you can't get on board with a guy who is 5-11 175 lbs and looks like he should be playing in the Little League World Series, well then I'm sorry you just have no hope. He isn't even 25 yet and he is already the best pitcher and baseball.

Relief Pitcher: Jonathon Pabelbon

I love the intense Papelbon stare. Absolutely love it. Not as much as I love asking people if they "have their Papelboner" when he pitches, but it's definitley close. As much as I like Joe Nathan, I'm still mad at him for helping choke away the end of the season for the Twins last year. Plus, Papelbon is slightly better anyway.

Now, I know what you are thinking, who cares who is the best at each position? Brian McCann isn’t worth taking in the first or second round. Yes, that is true, but it is still nice to have an idea what an ideal (although virtually impossible) fantasy roster would look like. And, just to appease you here is a list of my top ten players. Basically, these are the guys I would consider taking with a first round pick.

1. Hanley Ramirez
2. Albert Pujols
3. David Wright
4. Ryan Braun
5. Josh Hamilton
6. Grady Sizemore
7. Miguel Cabrera
8. Mark Teixera
9. Jose Reyes (yes, he is overrated but he steals bases and scores runs. I just won’t take him because he’ll never drop this far)
10. Tim Lincecum

Well there you have it. Now draft away faithful readers.

-Juice

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You should write about sleepers and busts for a nice little fantasy preview trilogy. Just a thought.

djohnso6 said...

I concur

Juice said...

Deal.

Coming Monday: Juice's fantasy sleeprs and busts.

Anonymous said...

Or how about something other than baseball?? You know, just as a thought.