Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Sweet Sixteen and Elite Eight Picks

Well we have made it to the Sweet Sixteen. Many people's brackets are busted, and there aren't any interesting underdogs left anymore (Arizona is a 12 seed but they aren't interesting) so the tourney is fizzling. The tournament always gets less interesting after the first two rounds, but whatever.

On to our Sweet Sixteen and Elite Eight picks. Also, we are ditching the whole upset in bold thing, since there really aren't any potential shocking upsets. Other than Arizona, but screw them.

Juice Says

Sweet Sixteen
Midwest:
Louisville beats Arizona
Kansas beats Michigan St

West:
UConn beats Purdue
Memphis beats Missouri

East:
Pittsburgh beats Xavier
Villanova beats Duke

South:
North Carolina beats Gonzaga
Syracuse beats Oklahoma

Elite Eight
Midwest:
Louisville beats Kansas

West: Memphis beats UConn

East:
Pittsburgh beats Villanova

South:
Syracuse beats North Carolina

This has been a relatively boring tournament so far. There were a few exciting games, and a couple of upsets (like my boys from Cleveland State) but for the most part the bracket has gone with the chalk (which, might I add, is the single dumbest expression in the history of the English language). Of course I can’t really say much, my finals teams are Pittsburgh and Louisville and that is quite chalkish as well.

I guess my most “out there” pick in the Final Four would be Syracuse (who I did have in my original bracket) but I think even they have a pretty big bandwagon at this point. Plus picking a three seed isn’t all that crazy.

Unless a team like George Mason makes a run, which is a rarity, the later rounds of the tournament are just like any other playoff where the best teams play and the unexpected rarely happens. Basically a whole lot of one and two seeds.

Of the teams left, a person could make a fairly convincing case for why any one of them could win. This is what makes college basketball more interesting than the NBA (Can’t the Lakers and Cavs just play the finals now? Do we really need two more months of NBA games to decide the inevitable?). With that said, however, there isn’t a team left in the NCAA tourney that is exciting, or an interesting Cinderella. (Note: Arizona has a few NBA caliber players and underachieved during the season, they aren’t a real Cinderella.)

At this point I am only interested in the outcome because it is a national championship. I’m not actually interested in the games. Basically the “madness” of March Madness is over.

Whatever happens though, there are two undeniable truths to be taken from this tourney: Oklahoma is an overrated one man team, and Eric Devendorf is the biggest tool on the planet.

The Kicker Says

Sweet Sixteen
Midwest:
Louisville beats Arizona
Kansas beats Michigan State

West:
UConn beats Purdue
Memphis beats Missouri

East:
Xavier beats Pittsburgh
Villanova beats Duke

South:
UNC beats Gonzaga
Oklahoma beats Syracuse

Elite Eight (Didn't this use to be called the Great Eight?)
Midwest:
Louisville beats Kansas

West:
Memphis beats UConn

East:
Villanova beats Xavier

South:
Oklahoma beats UNC

Alright, this tournament has been a letdown, I will be the first to admit that. But, it still has had its moments, whether or not there were upsets. Ben Woodside (Minnesota born and raised) from North Dakota State dropped 37 on Sherron Collins and Kansas, there have been some very hot cheerleaders and I have a growing hatred for nearly every basketball announcer (Kevin Harlan not included).

Now for my picks, I am not thrilled with my picks so far, but my Final Four is still intact. I didn't pick the "favorites" bur everyone is pretty much the same at this point. I like Memphis because of Tyreke Evans, there athleticism and there coach. They might not be a championship caliber team but I will ride those Tigers til they lose.

From the Midwest I am picking Louisville because of Samardo Samuels and Rick Pitino. He is underrated and Pitino is a winner. However, they lost to my Gophers which shows me they are definitely vulnerable. But working in their favor is Arizona who is not that good, Michigan St who is too slow to beat them and Kansas who relies to heavily on Cole Aldrich (Minnesota boy) and Sherron Collins.

I like Villanova because they are good and playing well. Pitt hasn't beat anyone better than a 6 seed in there last four tournament appearances and they wont this year. Finally, my "upset" is Blake Griffin making the Final Four. He is a one man team and I hate him but he is terrific. He will beats Jonny Flynn and Syracuse and then out play Tyler Hansboro and an injured Ty Lawson (two games in 3 days will make Lawson ineffective for the 2nd half against Oklahoma). So yes, I am still going to watch the games and probably end up caring more than I think but as it stands now, I don't really give a damn. I hope for good games, to win a few of my bracket pools and maybe just maybe find some more hot cheerleaders (I'm looking at you Louisville, Memphis and Arizona)

No comments: