Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Kicker's Corner

I really do struggle with titles but the idea of this post is to tell a story. Not necessarily a sports story, but a story in general. It might become a weekly thing, but I might forget about it twenty minutes after I post...but either way, here we go.

So I am sitting in class today and my mind starts to wander onto the subject of how much pro athletes make. (This article isn't stupid like the other ones on this topic, as I will not complain about their fortunes). OK, clearly pro athletes make a ton of money. According to Sports Illustrated (all figures include endorsements) the highest paid athlete is Tiger Woods at $127 million dollars. The highest paid athlete on a team sport is LeBron James at just over $40 million.

Now, I would love to make $100,000 a year someday. That would be a lot of money to me. That is nothing to pro athletes.

But what can I do better than anyone in the world? I can chug a can of Coke without stopping (is that impressive or sad?). I once won 124-3 in college football 95 for Sega when I was the number 2 team playing against number 1...if you're Colorado you can call a timeout and then a hail mary and run for at least 40 yards every time with Kordell "Slash" Stewart (does that warrant $30 million a year?). As you can see, I am pretty average...or weird. But my point is, these people are the best in the world at what they do.

No one complains that Warren Buffet makes too much on his investments, Bill Gates makes too much by being smart or that Will Smith makes too much for being in movies. So why complain about pro athletes? Tiger and LeBron are the BEST in the world at what they do. Tiger might be the best ever (I think he is) and he is getting paid accordingly. I am sorry if no one pays you millions of dollars to be the best Target manager, carpenter, teacher or truck driver in the world. If you are that person, awesome. I am proud of you.

Finally, these athletes make money because they entertain and bring in money. Will I ever bring in $25 million a year to my company? Absolutely. (Well, maybe not...) But LeBron does, Tiger does and so do plenty of other athletes. You pay to see LeBron. Everyone does. People love Tiger Woods. If we are willing to pay to see them, they deserve a cut (this is my issue with college athletes not getting a stipend or ANYTHING when schools and networks are making millions upon millions off of them...)

So next time you are complaining about how much people are making for playing a "game" realize they are the best in the world. Yes, even you Oklahoma City Thunder players. (Really? Thunder? are they in sixth grade?)

-The Kicker

1 comment:

Matty Styles said...

"Really? Thunder? Are they in 6th grade?" Awesome.