Monday, February 23, 2009

Somone Save Sports

Which is/was worse?

A. The current landscape of sports?

B. Last night's Oscars ceremony?

This is, of course, a trick question. They are/were both awful.

If you didn't watch the Oscars here is what you missed: Heath Ledger has a hot sister, and Meryl Streep has a surprisingly attractive daughter. That's it. Nothing else worthwhile happened. So don't worry, if you missed the show, you didn't actually miss anything.

As for the sports world, everybody just seems to be talking about steroids. Normally I would be happy to turn on Sportscenter without worrying about having to see stories about the NHL or NBA, but not if I'm subjected to an hour of Arod talk. Even Michael Phelps thinks this media coverage is getting out of hand.

At this point I'm basically ignoring sports coverage altogether. At least until Spring Training games and March Madness begin.

I would, though, like to give Tiger Woods props on the timing of his comeback, any little non steroid news bit helps. Although Tiger is pretty ripped. I'm not sayin. I'm just sayin...

Also, thank you to Conneticut basketball coach Jim Calhoun for this gem.

Aside from those two items, and of course my beloved Twins finally making a move this offseason, I haven’t been entertained by sports since the Super Bowl.

Maybe I’m just being naïve in thinking sports are supposed to be fun rather than depressing. Is it really too much to ask to be able to watch Sportscenter without cringing? Then again, with apologies to John Anderson and Scott Van Pelt, it is nearly impossible to watch cringe-free Sportscenter, even in the most entertaining of times.

Maybe I just need baseball to start again. That’ll pull me out of this funk. Of course, with the way the media works, we’ll probably be seeing the other 103 steroid names right around the time people start forgetting about steroids.

Or maybe I’m just cynical.

Either way, sports suck right now.

-Juice

No comments: