Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Thank You Brett

I am not a Packer fan, or Jets for that matter. I am not a football "purist" who loved the gamer inside the gunslinger. I am not from Favre's hometown or home state. In fact, I disliked Favre for most of his career and at least twice a year, I hated him.

Green Bay plays my beloved Vikings twice a year so I will forever hold a grudge against number 4. He made every start, every play and rarely cost his team the game. However, I am not thanking Mr. Favre for leaving the game (for good this time?) he loves and gave so much too.

I am thanking him for saving all of us from the media and their relentless coverage of baseball's most recent steroids allegations. Everyone has an opinion and apparently we all need to know what everyone thinks.

I don't care. I assume everyone used (besides Ken Griffey Jr. and Manny) so when A-Rod, Jim Thome (he is an ogre), Frank Thomas (Big Hurt is a great nickname) and everyone else is accused, I still won't care.

I care so little, I have been avoiding sports. It comes up during college basketball games, NBA games and maybe even NHL games (if its talked about and no one is watching, does it matter?) but because of mighty Brett, the gun slinger, the man who is considered one of the greats retiring, we get a break.

No one ask if Favre used steroids (he might have considering his incredible ability to heal quickly, but if used for medical purposes I am not sure if they are illegal) but his arm was strong from day one, his passes unpredictable and his ability to start every game under center unparalleled.

I will miss Favre and his throws. How he did that stupid fake pass after EVERY TIME he handed off the ball. I'll miss John Madden dreaming of him and Brett getting in a bus crash (Madden doesn't fly so it cant be a plane) and somehow ending up on a island together but most of all I will miss that for one day, on February 11th, 2009, Favre made my day by allowing me to watch Sportscenter again.

-The Kicker

No comments: