Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Today's Game Has Been Delayed

Today was going to be a good day. I slept well, woke up around 9:30am and was ready to go. After a quick bowl of cereal and a long shower (long showers are my favorite, sorry Mother Nature) I did some homework, studied a bit but planned my day around the 11:35am CST first pitch of the Twins @ Red Sox game.

I was anticipating a decent game as both teams had been playing well. The Sox were had 42 year old knuckleballer Tim Wakefield on the mound against the Twins Scott Baker. Well, part way through the third inning I decided it should be Scott "Take me deep" Baker, or various other versions of his name taking it hard, long and deep. However, Wakefield was baffling Twins hitters as they constantly hit weak popups and failed to get anything going. Then the rain came.

In this case, rain doesn't help the Twins as they were down 10-1 in the 8th. As the game went from boring to delayed, I realized that Twins fans everywhere should take note.

Next year, when outdoor baseball arrives in Minnesota, we better prepare for more than our fair share of delays and cancellations. Now, I don't mind this. It makes for some double headers, less fans after the rain delay and great stories about how I spent 9 hours to watch a game because the snow plow broke down.

I am going to be disappointed when a game is rained/snowed out because I love watching the Twins on TV. But, I will take a few more baseballless (thats a lot of consecutive Ls) nights in the summer for the glory of outdoor baseball. Sitting outside on a Wednesday night, 75 degrees, stars are shining, Twins are playing. Not a better feeling in the sports world than a good outdoor baseball game.

So as we move forward Twins fans, we must remember there will be rainouts. There might be snowouts but there undoubtedly will be great games, memories and yes, even weather as we transition from the marshmallow known as the Dome to Target Field, where the Twins and Spot the Dog will call home.

-The Kicker

No comments: