Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Growing Up With Sports

I grew up in front of a t.v. watching sports. This is to not say I had a bad childhood, in fact, I had a great childhood and I loved watching sports. I remember when our t.v. reception went out during Game 6 of the 1991 World Series.

My mom wasn't home so my dad took me and my siblings to my grandparents house to watch. They were not home either but we sat around the t.v., my siblings and I on the ground and my dad in the chair and we cheered as the Twins won.

I remember being eight and having a rat tail because I thought it looked cool, but I also remember watching the Vikings lose to Tampa Bay @ the Metrodome. (This is when the Bucs had awesome orange jerseys)

I relate periods of my life to sports. 6th grade will always be the year the Vikings should have won the Superbowl. (I'll never blame Gary Andersen, ever).

However, as I get older the players I relate life to change. As a fan I am more knowledgeable and aware, partially because I am older, and partially because I have the internet.

I know the ages of players and it's hard for me to watch the once vibrant young stars of my childhood (Ken Griffey Jr.) slowly fade away. It's hard for me to call college athletes "kids" because I am, in fact, older than most of them.

But most of all it is hard to not relate my life to sports as much as I use to.

Don't get me wrong, sports are still a HUGE part of my life. I am watching more games, looking at more stats and attending more events than ever before. But my freshman year of college isn't defined as the year any team did anything. I wish it was, but with so much other stuff going on it's hard to say that it is.

I will forever love sports. I will forever follow them at an unhealthy level. However, I can only wish for a time when I can relate events in my life to sports.

Someday, hopefully, I can relate my first born child to the Vikings winning the Superbowl. (For the 2nd time...maybe thats too greedy but I deserve it.)

If I cant, I will always remember the years of my life and the sporting events that go with them.

-The Kicker

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Being 8 and having a rat tail, a staple of growing up a talahi timberwolve

The Castleman said...

I get what you're saying. You always think back and remember how old you were or where you were when something happened in sports. I also relate to the rat tail(the darker days of my life). And it is hard to call athletes kids when Crosby was a captain at age 19 while I'm 22 and still waking up with puke all over myself. Hopefully I'll grow up soon but I doubt it. And don't ever put the curse of the Vikings winning the Super Bowl on your child. He/she would grow up fucked.