Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Not Just A Different Time But A Different (Sports) World

So I was cleaning out a storage room in my basement and found a box of old, dusty but in good condition Football and Baseball Digests. These magazines were filled with facts, stories and results from the week before. I paged through a few and was impressed with the content but had to laugh to myself. My Dad waited DAYS to get these.

I only laughed because I have on many occasions gone on rants when my gamecast wouldn't update or a games box score and write up weren't available ten minutes after the final second had ticked off the clock.

Sports fans in this day and age are spoiled. I can follow every professional game. I can get live updates of the Australian Open, the Olympics or any other sporting event. I can get texts to my phone for the rare moments I am not watching the game or near a computer. Not to mention people can access the internet from their phone. (Crackberry's anyone?)

I recently spent a weekend with no internet and it was painful to have to watch the sports ticker and wait to see the results. Not to mention I didn't get a full box score until the next morning in the newspaper.

We are in a time where sports are followed more closely, and at a greater rate, because you can watch, listen to or follow any game, event or match ever.

This is a beautiful time. So next time your internet is slow, your gamecast freezes or your satellite T.V. cuts out, just take a minute to reflect on how ridiculous sports fans have become...then swear at technology, text your friends for updates and pace around the room as you wait for them to text back as you frantically click refresh because your internet might be working again.

-The Kicker

No comments: