Friday, January 9, 2009

NFL Divisional Playoff Picks

Saturday, Jan. 10th
Baltimore Ravens (12-5) @ Tennessee Titans (13-3)
The Kicker Says:
I like the Ravens in this matchup. I choked and went 0-4 in my family pick pool last week after dominating the regular season but I will turn it around this week. Tennessee has an inept offense and even though they won 13-10 earlier in the year rookie quarterback Joe Flacco has progressed greatly since then. It comes down to defense and the Ravens have been on fire as of late led by All-Pro safety Ed Reed. And anyone who picks against Ray Lewis is asking to be killed. Literally killed by Ray Lewis.
Ravens win 24-13

Juice Says:
Everybody's choosing the Ravens. Erego the Titans will win. It's that simple.
Titans win 17-10

Arizona Cardinals (10-7) @ Carolina Panthers (12-4)
The Kicker Says:
Arizona struggles on the road. They struggle against strong running teams. They struggle in the eastern time zone (where Carolina is for those of you who struggle with U.S. geography). All this adds up to the Panthers putting a hurting on the NFC West Champions and ending their season. Anquan Boldin is battling a hamstring injury the vaunted Cardinals passing game will struggle and the Panthers will run their defense off the field.
Panthers win 31-10

Juice Says:
First of all, Kurt Warner's gloves drive me crazy. I hate it. Take the glove off your throwing hand you stupid hack. Also, you aren't actually good you just have good receivers. I could win with Fitzgerald, Boldin, and Breaston. With Boldin being hurt, Warner's lack of talent, and the Panthers being vastly superior, Carolina will cruise.
Panthers win 41-24

Sunday, Jan. 11th
San Diego Chargers (9-8) @ Pittsburgh Steelers (12-4)
The Kicker Says:
A tough one to pick since I was sure Indianapolis was going to make a run to the Super Bowl. Anyway, I will pick the Steelers to win because they have a great defense and a game in Pittsburgh in January means cold, wind and possibly snow. The Chargers are without LaDainian Tomlinson and will struggle to surprise the Steelers with backup Darren Sproles. Also, the strong run defense of the Steelers will contain the diminutive back. The one variable is Steelers QB Ben Roethlisberger suffered his 3rd concussion two weeks ago and may not play the whole game or play up to his normal standards. Does a win count if the quarterback doesn't remember? What if it doesn't? Does Troy Aikman get a ton of credit for not remembering his games but still being a good announcer? I'll look into it.
Steelers win 24-20

Juice Says:
I like Sproles. He's squirrely. Not as squirrely as our friend Scott, but I digress. I feel like Big Ben's head being something resembling pudding at this point is not a good sign. As much as Phillip Rivers and the Chargers annoy me, and I want to pick against them, I'm going to make them my Upset Special of the Week. Also I would like to trademark "Upset Special of the Week" so someone should do that for me.
Chargers win 20-17

Philadelphia Eagles (10-6-1) @ New York Giants (12-4)
The Kicker Says:
The Eagles beat my Vikings last week on the road but that is not saying much. Any team who struggled to a tie @ Cincinnatti (then had a quarterback who didn't know ties existed) is not destined for much. The Eagles struggle on the road and if not for a screen pass that scored a 70+ yard touchdown the Eagles might already done. They did beat the Giants in week 15 but the Giants were done caring at that point. As for the Giants they should be able to run the ball and any adverse weather conditions shouldn't affect their running game. Despite this I pick the Eagles because of how annoying Eli Manning is in the Double Stuf Oreo commercials. He ruins it.
In an upset...Eagles win 20-13

Juice Says:
The Eagles aren't actually good. I don't care what you say. They aren't. Although Andy Reid's beard is magnificent, and Donovan McNabb is pretending to be care again. The Giants will pull this one out, however, in honor of Plaxico Burress. Win one for the gimper. Wait thats not right...
Giants win 28-24

Recap
The Kicker Says:
Ravens over Titans 24-13
Panthers over Cardinals 31-10
Steelers over Chargers 24-20
Eagles over Giants 20-13

Juice Says:
Titans over Ravens 17-10
Panthers over Cardinals 41-24
Chargers over Steelers 20-17
Giants over Eagles 28-24

No comments: